Forty people, including four children, needed treatment after a fire at a London apartment block with Grenfell-style cladding.
A total of 125 firefighters rushed to the blaze after it broke out at the flats in Poplar.
Reports say that people were trapped on their balconies and shouted for help, while others were able to evacuate. Those affected by shock and smoke inhalation were treated at the scene, while two people were taken to hospital.
Some 20 per cent of the building’s facade features ACM PE cladding, which was considered a key factor in the devastating fire at Grenfell Tower in 2017.
Building developer Ballymore said in a statement that work to replace the material was ‘underway’. The main contractor was due to take possession of the site today (Monday, May 10).
A number of reports said that residents claimed that there had been no alarms. Residents told My London that they had only found out about the fire through media and WhatsApp messages.
“People were stuck on balconies shouting for help, it was horrible.” one resident said.
Another, who lives on the tenth floor, claimed they discovered what was going on through a neighbours’ WhatsApp group.
“They just said ‘fire’ and posted updates and photos,” she said. “There is no fire alarm or sprinklers in the apartments.”